Student FAQs

This page contains answers to questions you may have about the DPRC and the reasonable accommodations for your disability at SF State. You are encouraged to take the time to review this information in order to become more familiar with the opportunities offered to you through the DPRC. This information will assist you in learning how the DPRC can assist you in accessing programs, services and facilities at SF State. Contact us at or (415) 338-2472 (voice)/(415) 335-7210 (VP) if you have related questions that we haven’t already addressed. It is our goal to make your SF State experience as accessible to you as possible.

University Admissions

Is there a separate admissions process for students with disabilities?

No. All prospective students need to apply to the University through the standard admission procedure found at CSU Apply before registering with the DPRC. Application dates and deadlines as well as the online application are also posted on CSU Apply. The freshman and transfer admission criteria can be found on the same website.

504 plans and IEPs are helpful additions to comprehensive documentation including other sources of information such as structured interviews and past psycho-educational evaluation results.

Can I transfer my documentation from a high school, community college, or other university?

Yes. The DPRC specialists are interested in reviewing disability documentation that previously qualified you for reasonable accommodations at other institutions. They are also interested in your self-report. Your experience of disability, barriers, and effective and ineffective accommodations greatly informs the reasonable accommodation process at SF State. You will have a chance to share this information during the registration process. Note that you may not need to submit disability documentation at all if your disability and accommodation requests can be verified by observation (e.g., wheelchair user, etc.)

In some instances, you may be asked to update your disability documentation when more current, or focused, information is needed to explain the connection between the impact of the disability, the described barrier, and the requested accommodation.

What if my disability prevents me from meeting a subject requirement for admissions, like math? Can I still apply to SF State and be admitted?

If you are unable to complete a core subject requirement for admission due to a disability, you may be eligible for an Admission by Exception review. Please visit the Admissions website for additional information.

DPRC Registration

What is the process for registering with the DPRC?

You are invited to schedule an initial appointment with a DPRC specialist as part of your reasonable accommodation eligibility determination process. Please call our front desk at (415) 338-2472 (voice)/(415) 335-7210 (VP) between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday, to schedule your initial appointment. It is our goal for your initial appointment to occur within 10 business days of your contacting the DPRC. Go to Registering with the DPRC for additional information.

Will the DPRC staff seek me out to help accommodate my disability like my high school counselors used to do?

No, we encourage newly admitted students with disabilities to register with the DPRC. An invitation to register with DPRC is included in every admission packet sent to newly admitted students. Your instructors are also required to include a disability access statement on all course syllabi that refers students with disabilities to register with the DPRC. Students with disabilities in the university setting are expected to independently follow up with the DPRC to request reasonable accommodations.

Do I need to update my documentation before registering with the DPRC?

In some instances, you may be asked to update your disability documentation when more current, or focused, information is needed to explain the connection between the impact of the disability, the described barrier, and the requested accommodation. If you need DPRC assistance in obtaining disability documentation, provisional DPRC services may be available during the documentation process on a case-by-case basis.

Do you accept IEPs or 504 plans?

Yes. See answer to above question, Can I transfer my documentation from a high school, community college or other university?

Reasonable Accommodations

How do I get accommodations at SF State?

Please visit the Register with the DPRC Webpage.

To request approved reasonable accommodations, it is the student’s responsibility to initiate and follow published request processes.  The best way to ensure an approved accommodation will be available when needed is to make requests as soon as possible, with enough time for DPRC to properly process and fulfill the request.  If you have any questions related to requesting an approved accommodation, please contact DPRC. 

Does the DPRC offer tutoring services?

The DPRC does not offer tutoring services as these services are already available on campus. We are happy to help with tutoring referrals. Take a look at the SF State Tutoring Resource Page.

What kind of housing accommodations are available for students with disabilities?

Students who require reasonable accommodations for University Housing must go through the DPRC registration process in addition to completing a Housing application form. Once this is done and a request for a reasonable accommodation has been substantiated, University Housing will make every effort to meet the accommodation request. However, a DPRC accommodation request cannot circumvent the Housing wait list. Applicants will be served on a first-come, first-served basis. Please visit the Housing Accommodations page for the step-by-step process. Requests for reasonable accommodations in University Housing must be completed on a yearly basis and do not “roll over” year-to-year. 

How can I receive on-campus shuttle services outside of the DPRC office hours?

To request rides outside the DPRC's regular hours of operation, please call in advance the Parking and Transportation Office at (415) 338-1441, Monday - Friday, between the hours of 8:30 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. In the evening and weekends, requests can be made through the Department of Public Safety at (415) 338-7200. Same day requests are dispatched in the order that they are received and may be subject to delays depending on volume.

What is Priority Registration and why is it important?

Priority registration is for DPRC students to enroll in classes before the general student population registers. Students with disabilities need to give careful consideration to the specific impact of their disabilities when registering for classes. Factors like the physical location of the class, the time of day it is offered, and the amount of reading that is required can all significantly affect registration decisions for a student with a disability. To maximize each student’s disability management when planning his or her course load, the University provides priority registration to students with disabilities through the DPRC. Students with disabilities must register with the DPRC to be eligible for this service.

What if I think I need to withdraw from the University or take a leave of absence for disability related reasons?

DPRC wants to ensure your academic success and full participation in your education whenever possible. However, we understand that sometimes circumstances arise related to disability or health related changes. If you are interested in exploring short-term leave of absence or withdrawal options please visit the SF State withdrawal services page

Adaptive Technology & Accessible Media

Are there computer labs on campus where I can use adaptive hardware and software?

Yes, you will find details on the Adaptive Technology Locations webpage.

How can I get training for adaptive technology software such as Kurzweil or JAWS?

Training on adaptive technology software and hardware is available to students and employees with disabilities through the DPRC. You must first meet with a DPRC staff member to be referred for the training. The type and amount of training provided is determined on a case-by-case basis.

Does the DPRC have any equipment that I can check out?

The DPRC has a number of devices available for members of the campus community as reasonable accommodations. The equipment that can be checked out includes digital recorders, Smart Pens, assistive listening devices (ALDs), headphones, portable CCTVs, Victor Readers, and furniture. A list of equipment available on campus is located at the Adaptive Hardware webpage.

How can blind students get help using inaccessible websites?

SF State strives to make students’ online experience as accessible as possible. Please notify the DPRC immediately if you experience an access barrier while navigating an SF State website with adaptive software. The DPRC works closely with the University to remediate inaccessible websites. When a remedy is not immediately achievable, the DPRC staff will work with you to find timely alternate access.

How can Deaf or hard of hearing students get help with captioning when instructors use online videos?

The DPRC is proactive in working with faculty to coordinate captioning of instructional multimedia for classes with enrolled student users of captioning. If you are registered with the DPRC as a user of captioning, this process is automatic. Please contact the DPRC at or 415/338-2472 (voice/TTY) if you have further questions about your eligibility for multimedia captioning.

What is the Accessible Technology Initiative (ATI) and how does it affect me?

The ATI is a CSU-wide initiative that aims to ensure all campus information resources and technologies are fully accessible to persons with disabilities. Here at SF State, we strongly believe in the ATI and work to ensure that campus technologies used or purchased are accessible to everyone.

This means that if you come across a website or technology at SF State, it is likely that it's already accessible and will not require an individualized accommodation for you to access it. If you come across an inaccessible technology used on campus, please contact the SF State ATI team at For more information on the ATI please follow the link from our Quicklink List on the right sidebar.

Accessibility & Advocacy

What is the policy on campus regarding service animals?

Under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), state and local governments, businesses, and nonprofit organizations that serve the public generally must allow service animals to accompany people with disabilities in all areas of the facility where the public is normally allowed to go. For example, in a hospital it would be inappropriate to exclude a service animal from areas such as patient rooms, clinics, cafeterias, or examination rooms. However, it may be appropriate to exclude a service animal from operating rooms or burn units where the animals’ presence may compromise a sterile environment.  Service animals are trained to recognize and respond to a handler's needs and are different than emotional support or assistance animals. 

Under the ADA, service animals must be harnessed, leashed, or tethered, unless these devices interfere with the service animal’s work or the individual’s disability prevents using these devices. In that case, the individual must maintain control of the animal through voice, signal, or other effective controls. Additional information on this subject is available on the ADA website.

Please note that emotional support or assistance animals, if approved, are generally allowed in campus residences only. The DPRC will determine collaboratively with you whether or not the request for an animal rises to the level of reasonable accommodation. For more information about current practices regarding service and assistance animals at SF State, please see your Disability Specialist.

What are my legal rights and responsibilities as a student with a disability on campus?

You have the right to equal access to SF States programs, services, and facilities, and the responsibility to inform the DPRC that you have a disability and need a reasonable accommodation. The DPRC staff are happy to talk with you about your rights and responsibilities at any time. A useful resource for learning more about your rights and responsibilities is a publication put out by the Office of Civil Rights of the U.S. Department of Education, Students with Disabilities Preparing for Postsecondary Education: Know Your Rights and Responsibilities.

Does the DPRC offer assistance with event planning to ensure that the event is accessible to individuals with disabilities?

Yes, it does. Please look at our Accessible Events Checklist for details.

What role do my parents play in the reasonable accommodation process at SF State?

Once you register with the DPRC, you are entitled to confidentiality. The DPRC staff cannot communicate to anyone about you, including your parents, without your explicit permission to do so. As a student registered with the DPRC, you are responsible for your own accommodation requests and disability-related decisions. However, you are encouraged to have an open dialogue with your parents as they can be a wonderful source of support. In the event you have a specific need for a parent to communicate directly with the DPRC staff, you can complete and sign an Information Exchange Authorization form authorizing this contact. Even with such authorization on file, the working relationship is still between you and the DPRC staff. Direct contact with parents is limited to an as-needed basis and you are always kept in the information loop.

How is the confidentiality of a student's records and disability status maintained through the DPRC?

The DPRC registration or personal information about your disability can only be released by the DPRC with an Information Exchange Authorization form completed and signed by you. Student records, such as course enrollment or transcripts, do not indicate your registration with the DPRC. If you have shared a DPRC Reasonable Accommodation Verification document listing your name and the accommodations you are eligible for with an instructor, then the DPRC staff can discuss how to implement the accommodations with your instructor. Personal information about your disability, such as specific diagnosis, is kept confidential. The DPRC staff only consults with university faculty and staff about you on a need-to-know basis in the event a health and safety issue occurs.

Can the DPRC waive any course and/or test requirements for students with disabilities?

No. All students must meet the same course and test requirements, with or without accommodation, as met by the general student population. If you feel you are unable to meet a requirement because of a disability, you can consult with a DPRC specialist about your options.

I have been accepted into the study abroad program at SF State and will be placed at a college or university outside of the country. What is the procedure for requesting disability accommodations for my study abroad placement?

Please schedule an appointment with one of our DPRC specialists and we will complete a Study Abroad Disability Accommodations Request form, which we will forward to the Study Abroad and Exchange office on campus, so they can facilitate the reasonable accommodation process with the host institution. To learn more about the benefits of early disclosure of your disability and accommodation needs for your study abroad placement, please visit MIUSA International’s website.

Other DPRC information

How can I work in the DPRC?

You can learn about these opportunities at the DPRC Employment webpage .

Does the DPRC offer internships?

The DPRC offers an internship for students enrolled in the M.S. Rehabilitation Counseling program at SF State. Please see us at the annual Internship Fair or contact the Department of Counseling for details.

How can I find out about scholarships for people with disabilities?

You can learn about application opportunities at the DPRC Scholarships Webpage.