Reduced Course Load


Students registered with Disability Programs and Resource Center (DPRC) who are recipients of financial aid and who are unable to carry a full time (12 units for undergraduates, 8 for graduate students) for disability-related reasons may wish to request a Reduced Course Load (RCL) accommodation.


Students requesting a Reduced Course Load must have a documented disability that warrants the need for this accommodation and be registered with the Disability Programs and Resource Center (DPRC).  To learn more about registering with the DPRC and providing documentation of your disability, please visit the Registering with DPRC.


The student requesting an RCL must provide a recommendation from a physician, therapist, learning specialist, or other appropriate professional verifying the specific disability related reasons for a Reduced Course Load, the specific number of units that should be considered a full time load for that student, and the number of semesters the reduction will be required.  All requests are handled on a case-by-case basis. Students are required to maintain at least 6 units per semester for undergraduates, and 4 units for graduates (only upper division, course #300 or above allowed) to be eligible for financial aid.  The DPRC will send a Reduced Course Load recommendation Financial Aid once the need is verified.  In order to give students maximum control over their circumstances, RCL requests will not be automatically renewed each semester or school year.  Students need to request an RCL accommodation each semester or school year that it is needed.

Be aware that some types of financial aid might be reduced when the course load is reduced. Students should contact Student Financial Aid to find out how their award will be affected before they drop any units.

Students who request a Reduced Course Load as an accommodation for a disability are not eligible for any extension of the 20-hour work week for student assistants and work-study students.