Modify any semi-permanent signage that is to be posted within a computing facility for an entire semester (15 weeks) or longer according to the standards listed below. Contact DPRC staff at firstname.lastname@example.org or ext. 82472 for technical assistance.
- Create computer-generated signs (preferably using white paper with black letters) maintaining a minimum of 70% contrast difference between characters/graphics and background.
- Reduce glare by avoiding use of high gloss or laminated products.
- Select a sans-serif font such as Arial and size a minimum of 18 points.
- Size characters and symbols according to viewing distance. Signs mounted 80" or more above the finished floor must have 3" high minimum characters.
- Request Braille representation of sign content on clear DYMOT tape from the DPRC and attach on sign.
- Mount sign so that the height of Braille characters is at 60 inches from the floor, and the floor space below sign is free and clear of obstructions.
- Despite sign quality, be prepared to offer assistance to users with disabilities upon request and convey sign content verbally.
The links listed below are to standards outlining the methods and specifications for providing physical and programmatic access to information technology at SFSU.