Staff FAQs

The questions frequently asked by SF State staff  are listed below with introductory answers. Please contact the DPRC at or 415-338-2472 for additional information. You may also visit the Faculty FAQs for more detailed information.

What is the Disability Program and Resource Center (DPRC) Office?

The best answer is our mission statement.

The DPRC collaborates with SF State's diverse community to ensure that all aspects of campus life - learning, working and living - are universally accessible. The DPRC provides the University with resources, education and direct services in order that people with disabilities may have a greater opportunity to achieve social justice and equity.

What is a reasonable accommodation?

Please see either Common Accommodations for Students or Common Accommodations for Employees

What if I suspect that a student or employee is having difficulties based on a disability?

Approach the student or employee and let them know that you're noticing that they may be having difficulty. Feel free to refer the student or employee to DPRC for more information.

What’s the best way to communicate with a Deaf person if I don’t know sign language?

Please go to the Tips for Brief Communication with Deaf & Hard-of-Hearing People page.

What is the policy on campus regarding service animals?

Under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), state and local governments, businesses, and nonprofit organizations that serve the public generally must allow service animals to accompany people with disabilities in all areas of the facility where the public is normally allowed to go. For example, in a hospital it would be inappropriate to exclude a service animal from areas such as patient rooms, clinics, cafeterias, or examination rooms. However, it may be appropriate to exclude a service animal from operating rooms or burn units where the animals’ presence may compromise a sterile environment.

Under the ADA, service animals must be harnessed, leashed, or tethered, unless these devices interfere with the service animal’s work or the individual’s disability prevents using these devices. In that case, the individual must maintain control of the animal through voice, signal, or other effective controls. Additional information on this subject is available on the ADA website.

Please note that emotional support animals may or may not be considered service animals. The DPRC may determine collaboratively with you whether or not the request for an animal rises to the level of reasonable accommodation. For more information about current practices regarding service and support animals at SF State, please see your Disability Specialist.

What kinds of disabilities will I see on campus?

SF State welcomes all persons with disabilities. Common disabilities include learning disabilities, blindness, deafness, attention deficit/hyperactivity disorder, psychological disabilities, motor/orthopedic disabilities and chronic health conditions. For a complete list of accommodations available for these disability categories, please visit Common Accommodations for Students or Common Accommodations for Employees.

What If I have a student employee with a disability?

All employees, including student employees, maybe eligible for reasonable accommodations in the workplace. Please contact DPRC for more information.