Accommodation Complaints and Grievances

Every effort is put forth to ensure that students, faculty and staff with disabilities at San Francisco State University receive the services and accommodations to which they are entitled under federal law. Generally the campus community is sensitive to the need for accommodation. However, if an oversight to physical or programmatic access occurs at SF State, students and employees with disabilities have protection under Section 504 and the ADA. Students and employees who feel they have not been granted a requested reasonable accommodation may follow these procedures:

Step 1: Informal procedures

  1. Discuss your problem with a DPRC specialist (students) or DPRC Employee Accommodation Manager (employees). With permission of the student or employee, the DPRC staff member may work with you to contact the appropriate campus representative in an attempt to work out a solution to the problem.
  2. If your problem is not satisfactorily resolved, or if the issue is with a member of the DPRC staff, the student may request to meet with the DPRC Associate Director or the employee may request to meet with the DPRC Director.
  3. For students, if your problem is not satisfactorily resolved by the Associate Director, students may request to meet with the DPRC Director.  

Step 2: Formal procedures

  1. If your problem cannot be resolved informally as described above, employees may pursue their claims via the Discrimination, Harassment and Retaliation (DHR) procedures.
  2. Students may pursue their concerns utilizing the Student Affairs Complaint/Grievance procedures or contact a Discrimination, Harassment and Retaliation (DHR) representative for more information.

DPRC wants to work with you to resolve your problem in a timely manner whenever possible. However, at any point in this process, students may contact the the Office for Civil Rights (OCR) here:

Office for Civil Rights U.S. Department of Education
50 United Nations Plaza
San Francisco, CA 94102
(415) 486-5555
(415) 486-5570 Fax
(877) 521-2172 TTY

Employees are welcome to contact the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) here:

1-800-669-4000 (toll-free) or 1-800-669-6820 (toll-free TTY number for individuals with hearing impairments). EEOC field office information is available at