The Disability Programs & Resource Center (DPRC) is excited to offer multiple virtual engagement opportunities for students during fall semester 2020. Students do not need to be registered with the DPRC to participate in any of these groups or events.
Autism Support & Social Group
Tuesdays from 12-1pm, starting September 1, 2020 on Zoom
The Autism Support & Social Group is intended for SF State students that identify as autistic or having autism. Topics to be covered include personal and academic skill-building, disability identity, campus and community resources, guest speakers/facilitators, and opportunities to play games, socialize and share experiences with peers. Attendance is encouraged the whole semester to get to know your peers and build community, but we welcome you any time!
For more information please email Daniel Lebrija, Disability Specialist and group facilitator at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Conversations with DPRC & Friends
Thursdays from 3-4pm, starting September 10, 2020 on Zoom
A weekly virtual workshop series about navigating campus and student life with a disability, featuring skill-building workshops, social opportunities, and guest speakers/facilitators from the community. Topics to be covered: time management & organization, effective communication, disability identity, career readiness, peer-to-peer open discussion, and more.
This series is designed for students that identify with a disability but is open to all.
Current Schedule (select the link to register for a session):
- September 10 - Welcome to SF State & DPRC 101
- September 17 - Strategies for Effective Communication in the Remote Environment
- September 24 - Keeping Yourself Organized
- October 1 - Becoming Your Own Advocate
- October 8 - Disability history (with Paul K. Longmore Institute on Disability)
- October 15* - Career planning (with Career Services & Leadership Development)
- October 22* - California Department of Rehabilitation (DOR)
- October 29 - Breaking Down Election Day Anxiety & Accessible Voting (with Health Promotion & Wellness) | Halloween costumes welcome!
- November 5 - Peer-to-peer open forum/conversation
- November 12 - Disability identity & intersectionality
- November 19 - Resiliency and Emotional Wellness
*October is National Disability Employment Month!
For more information or with questions about this series, please email Nicole Redding, Associate Director at email@example.com.
Women with Hidden Disabilities Discussion Group
Fridays from 12-1pm, starting September 11, 2020 on Zoom
Engage in weekly discussions about identifying as a woman with a hidden disability and learn about your rights. This group is designed as a cohort model to foster a safe space and sustained dialogue, and is only open to registered participants. Interested participants will be asked to meet with the group facilitator prior to joining.
For more information or to schedule a meeting about joining the group, please email Maisoon Alghethy, Disability Specialist and group facilitator at firstname.lastname@example.org. Interested participants should contact Maisoon no later than Friday, September 4.
To request reasonable accommodations to participate in any of these groups, please contact the group facilitators listed above or contact email@example.com.