Below are Assistive Technology resources that you might find helpful
Note: Kurzweil is available to DPRC-registered students for the duration of their attendance at SF State.
Installation Instructions – Windows
- Make sure you have already uninstalled previous versions of Kurzweil
- Download the installation file of Kurzweil 16 for Windows.
- Run the file you downloaded
- At the installation screen, choose “Install Web Licensing Software”
- Click “Next” and choose “I accept the terms in the license agreement”.
- Click “Next,” fill in your information at the customer information prompt and select “Next”
- Choose “Complete installation,” then choose “Next”
- After the installation is complete, click the “Finish” button
- Restart your computer when prompted
- The installation is now complete. Locate and open the “Kurzweil 3000” shortcut on your desktop
- At the prompt, type your username and password, and then select the “OK” button
Installation Instructions – Mac OS
- Download the latest version of Kurzweil 16 for Mac
- When the window opens, drag the “Kurzweil 3000 Web License” folder to the Applications folder
- After the installation is complete, open the “Kurzweil 3000 Web License” folder under the Applications folder
- Click on “Kurzweil 3000”
- If you receive an error message "Kurzweil 3000 can't be opened because it is from an unidentified developer" you will need to go to System Preferences then Security & Privacy and find the Open Anyway button on the bottom (ensure the unlock icon is showing on the bottom left).
- Once Kurzweil opens, type in your user name and password, and then select the “Login” button
A Smart Pen is a pen device that can record audio from your lectures, in addition to recording the handwritten notes that you take in class. The pen is designed to allow students to be strategic with their time and only review selected portions of the recorded lecture after class to fill in any gaps of the written notes. This and other functionality can be learned about at a training to be provided on using the Smart Pens as needed.
The following applies to students using DPRC Smart Pens:
- The DPRC will provide training on using Smart Pens.
- Students are financially responsible for a lost or damaged pen.
- Students should return Smart Pens to the DPRC before the Summer semester begins each year (generally end of May)
- DPRC provides a limited number of Smart Pen notebooks for participants
- DPRC provides ink cartridges if your Smart Pen ink runs out
- Students may purchase SmartPen accessories from LiveScribe at their own expense
Smart Pen Resources